Enyo 2.0 beta 2!

edited February 2012 in Enyo 2
We just pushed our enyo 2.0 beta 2 release. We've also started an Enyo blog! You can check out the announcement at http://blog.enyojs.com and get the new ZIP file from the website.

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Shiny! Is there an anticipated date for list implementation (ie VirtualList or VirtualRepeater from enyo 1)?
  • it is still February (29th) and Enyo UI widgets Onyx are released now :)
    Thanks !
  • Looking great - and I'm still amazed that any of this works in IE.

It was actually really quick and easy to get an Enyo-1.0-like layout going http://mpierce.pie2k.com/enyo-2.0b2-test/ that seems to be working across the board.
  • Yeah, IE support takes a bit more work than just WebKit, which is a big part of why the 1.0 widget set just didn't port over easily. Plus, we had new UI designs for the onyx look-and-feel. I'm happy with what's out now and excited to see where we go. Now that the repo is public, you can see new controls and changes as we work on them.
  • Awesome work, I too was very surprised by the amount that works in IE 8 even, congrats to the team!
  • Congrats! But I'm looking forward to the palm service in enyo 2. Will it be part of enyo2?
  • We are working on a webOS support library that you can load into an application, that's where the PalmService code will live.

You can use Enyo 2.0 on webOS right now if you combine it with PhoneGap for webOS -- that provides the infrastructure to call services and to handle telling the system that the app is ready.
  • Looks nice. I don't imagine that there is a tool to help create these kinds of icon buttons, is there? that'd be really nice. :) Or at least some quick tips from someone on how to do so in photoshop or gimp?

• Alas, icon buttons (like the one at http://enyojs.com/samples/onyxsampler/images/menu-icon-bookmark.png) are just strips of images. Any PNG editor can make them, but we don't have any special tools to help you with your artwork, but there are a number of "CSS Sprite" tools you can search for on the net that will help you compose multiple images into one.
  • If they're done using photoshop, you can export the style used, that frees some work, as you can draw the B/W icon, and simply apply the style and photoshop does everything.
  • Yeah, per-pixel editing the glowy bits drives me insane, i still need to clean up those icon buttons in my existing apps.. :| was hoping there was some quick way of adding that. :)
  • I'm far form a photoshop guru, but if I get something done, I'll share.
  • my programmer art FTL.
  • I take your word!

In a couple hours I'll post the styles.
  • Love the new UI library!
  • edited March 2012
    Well, it has been a bit more than two hours (I had a meeting), but here them are:

https://github.com/Newness/Onyx-Styles

Both photoshop styles are simple to use. Open each one of the files, select the layer "Capa 1" -> right click -> "Blending Options" -> "New Style". Give it a name, and that's all. They'll be available at the Styles Window.

Just create a new image, draw your icon using only black (transparent background), and apply the style to the layer.
  • edited March 2012
    I just tried the new enyo on my TouchPad. I can make it run as an app by adding this line right after I create my root node.
        if (window.PalmSystem) {
            window.PalmSystem.stageReady();
        };	
  • Does the scroller work on webOS? I'm trying to create a scroller wrapping an iframe like the browser sample, but it doesn't actually scroll.
  • edited March 2012
    I'm not an expert, but I think events (including touch events) in the iframe area are only sent to the iframe document. That means the scroller doesn't have a chance to handle it as a drag event.

You can't normally pass events from the iframe to the parent due to cross-domain security restrictions. AFAIK the only way to deal with this is to put an invisible div over the iframe to intercept drag events -- take a look at http://jqueryui.com/demos/draggable/ (iframeFix under Options tab).

Another issue is that iframes are fixed sized and you don't know the length of the remote page in advance. I'm not sure if it'll work with just a regular scroller since you want to scroll the contents of the iframe instead of the iframe itself.
  • I can get it to work in chrome by just using the iframe, since chrome will do the scrolling for the iframe doc on it's own. on webos, however, there is no native scrolling mechanism for the iframe, so I'm not sure what to do.
  • Okay, I think I've figured it out. At least for Enyo 1 you have to use WebView on webOS and Iframe everywhere else. The WebView implements native scrolling. For Enyo 2 I don't have a solution yet.
  • @ekdikeo, the styles are right?
  • Are we going to have Pickers e.g. Integer Picker in Enyo 2 that were in Enyo 1

Thx
  • I expect we'll get them, but they rely on a good list widget first to have something to show in the popup.
  • Ben, are the layer styles (I'm assuming you guys use Photoshop) likely to be released in a PSD at any point?
  • I really become crazy. Why does Canvas RadialGradient not work with enyo 2? If I run my app without Enyo (only the canvas), Chrome, Opera, IE, Firefox all show the RadialGradient. Even if I run with Enyo 1, Chrome shows RadialGradient in Canvas.

What's that? Why does Enyo 2 manipulate the standard Canvas node? It really SHOULD work. Any ideas?
  • I know we did some PSD templates for Enyo 1 and webOS 3.0. I'll check with Matt about what we can release for 2.

As for canvas operations -- no idea what would cause that. Enyo should only modify nodes that it generated. You'll need to post an example that doesn't work (preferably in a GitHub issue)
  • Can I disable this modification? I generate the canvas node with enyo that's right. Maybe it's just easier if I don't generate it with enyo...
  • Can you post a code snippet that demonstrates the issue? I've had no problem with canvas + enyo.