Enyo2 vs Android Tablets

bjabja
edited August 2012 in Packaging Apps
Hey enyo developers,

I use phonegap to deploy my enyo2 app on android. The android emulator 4.1 (Tablet) means, that my app not ready for tablets. What can I do to disable this behaviour?

Regards
Björn

Comments

• do you mean that it has the icon allowing you to rescale the app? I believe to get rid of that you have to target SDK 14 or higher.
  • bjabja
    edited August 2012
    I use API level 16 (Android 4.1). Do you mean the icon inside the red rectangle, too?

• Yes. I believe the docs say that you need to set a target api of 14+ to not get that.

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/os/Build.VERSION_CODES.html

Hmm. Looks like it's 13, and you might need to specify some new values in the supports-screen section .. .
    As of this version, applications that don't say whether they support XLARGE screens will be assumed to do so only if they target HONEYCOMB or later; it had been GINGERBREAD or later. Applications that don't support a screen size at least as large as the current screen will provide the user with a UI to switch them in to screen size compatibility mode.

This version introduces new screen size resource qualifiers based on the screen size in dp: see screenWidthDp, screenHeightDp, and smallestScreenWidthDp. Supplying these in as per requiresSmallestWidthDp, compatibleWidthLimitDp, and largestWidthLimitDp is preferred over the older screen size buckets and for older devices the appropriate buckets will be inferred from them.
  • Yes, I think I have to set the supports-screen in the androidManifest.xml, but I can not edit this after the build with phonegap build service. Maybe I should try http://www.mosync.com/. :-)

Regards and thank you
    Björn
  • You can always build locally with PhoneGap. Seems like a good idea for a support request to Adobe.
  • mosync seems to work about as well as PhoneGap does at least at first glance. I found it to be quite easy to work with, as far as porting SynerGV over to it -- as SynerGV checks for the existence of the PhoneGap plugins that it uses, before attempting to use them, it was just a matter of creating a project, and plugging in my source tree.

I did notice some different behaviors in how it works as far as inputs go (inputs don't seem to try to get scrolled into view automatically, as they do with PhoneGap), and the inputs themselves seemed to act a little bit differently. The input situation in Android is just all sorts of messed up anyway, though.

I have not yet figured out how to edit the manifest, and considering the Mosync's latest supported version of Android is 2.3.2 or something like that, I'm not sure I'll continue messing with it. It does seem to be a little simpler to work with than PhoneGap for some things, though.
  • I will try to build locally with phonegap.Thanks ekdikeo for your short summary of mosync.

Regards
    Björn
  • I have not yet figured out how to edit the manifest, and considering the Mosync's latest supported version of Android is 2.3.2 or something like that, I'm not sure I'll continue messing with it.
    Currently, there isn't an easy way to edit the manifest file. mosync builds it dynamically for each build. In the "Output\Release\Android\2.x" in your project is where the manifest gets created. After you build a project, you can edit the manifest, and then just copy the last 3 or 4 commands from the mosync log, and rerun them to build with the custom file. You will need to have your android developer codes, since mosync uses theirs by default.

The other, harder way, would be to edit the source of mosync where it creates the manifest and rebuild the whole ide.

I've been working with mosync now for a couple weeks, and am really liking it. They are actively working on it, and i'm sure android 4 support isn't too far off. There are already bug reports and other things listed in their issues section for it they are working on.

Whats really been cool is the wormhole.js for communicating to/from c++ code and javascript.

Also, mosync says it works with phonegap as well, but i havn't tried paring them up yet.

I have noticed mosync does perform better is some aspects over phonegap, and in others parts, phonegaps seems to handle it better. But for my current app, It works a lot better overall with mosync, so thats' what i am going with for now.
  • edited August 2012
    On SynerGV, I have specified all of the above settings in the AndroidManifest and it's still not removing that icon. I have no idea where to go next, the documentation seems to indicate that's how you do it. I set a min size of 300 and a max size of 2048, just to be safe.

Performance wise, on Android, I noticed little to no difference between PhoneGap and Mosync, at least testing the slowest parts of SynerGV, which is definitely the scrolling. Of course, in some places, it's so bad, I might not even notice a 20% improvement. :-S

Of course, with simpler things, it might be easier to see a difference between them. SynerGV is just full of flexboxes and all sorts of other things that Android seems to hate scrolling.