Pass Property to Contained Component

If I want to pass a property to my app, I can do it thusly:
var app = new App({dbName: 'my DB name'})
and if I want to set a property on a contained component, I can do it thusly:
var App = enyo.kind({
	name: "App",
	components:[
            /* ... */
            {kind: 'DbService', dbName: 'some DB name'}

... but how can I pass the property from app to its contained component?

The owned component can evaluate this.owner.dbName, but that breaks encapsulation. Is there an elegant way to do this?

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Have you tried using the enyo.Application object? You can access the application object in your controls via this.app. Otherwise for a standard kind, you might try utilizing the constructor and have it take in parameters that you use for your components (I did it this way so you can assign a hash of properties to your component, otherwise you could take in individual parameters and bind them to your component properties and still define the component declaratively [edit: see theryanjduffy's post below]):

var App = enyo.kind({
        constructor: function(inParams) {
            this.inherited(arguments);
            this.params = inParams;
        },
        create: function() {
            this.inherited(arguments);
            this.createComponent(enyo.mixin({kind: 'DbService'}, this.params));
        }
    });

app = new App({dbName: 'my DB name'});

• Using a application-global object like this.app would appear to be a step backward from depending on a components owner - then the value can be mutated by components other than the owner.

I'm already using the create method in the owned component:
    var DbService = enyo.kind({
    	name: "DbService",
    	create: function () {
    		this.dbName = this.owner.dbName || this.dbName;

It would be more maintainable for the app to set the value on the component:
    var App = enyo.kind({
    	components:[
                {kind: 'DbService', dbName: /* what goes here? */}

It would be possible to create the DbService dynamically, but that is more complicated than the pseudo-static above.
  • Assuming you're using the nightly builds (or at least > 2.2), I'd suggest using bindings.

http://jsfiddle.net/ujuCJ/
  • Thank you, but your solution does not make the value available in DbService's create() function.
  • You're correct. Bindings aren't processed until after create. If you really need it in create(), you'll have to manually create it through createComponent like Aaron described or break encapsulation like your example.