Say hello to MacGap, and the Mac App Store

edited February 2012 in Packaging Apps
MacGap is a fork of Phonegap, and it's pretty good on it's work: packaging webapps for Mac OSX, and get them accepted on the Mac App Store.

MacGap exposes the "macgap" object, that gives web programmers an API to interact with the system: show Growl notifications, show notification badges, and so on.

Where? Here: https://github.com/maccman/macgap

Comments

• Looks great. Gonna test it first thing tomorrow. Too bad it doesnt provide clipboard access though. Thats one of the things I kinda need for one of my current apps.
  • oh cool!!! I was working on my own packager but this one looks better. =)
  • @andregarzia Still, your efforts are greatly appreciated! But why not use your experience and improve MacGap? Maybe start with clipboard access ;)
  • I've been testing it for a few days, and I must admit it works pretty well. There are some things that need to be fixed (like apps starting always on the bottom left corner of the screen, and with a predefined size that doesn't fit your setup), and API should be more extensive (it seems menu support is coming), but makes the work, and performace is pretty good.
  • edited February 2012
    I agree with rafa_bernad. One thing I noticed is that it seems to have trouble with trackpad scrolling on a macbook. This works fine in Google Chrome though. Also, like rafa_bernad mentioned a more extensive api would be nice. Cross-domain requests work out of the box, which is awesome, but things like execCommand("copy") (which is required by the Enyo clipboard functions) do not. If I had any clue about OSX development I'd try to fix these things myself but, as it happens, I dont. Any idea who you can turn to for feature requests?

Oh and one more thing: I cant seem to get the macgap generator to use the application.png in the root directory as my app icon. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?
  • The head of the project seems interested in engaging people more than feature requests (which I think it's natural), but I've read some feature requests in the Issues section on github.

I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to compile it on a 32bit machine, so go figure if I have idea on how to program Obj-C
  • edited February 2012
    Ok, I've found one of the issues I have. To change the startup window size and position, you must look at appDelegate.m, and inside that file, search for the "applicationDidFinishLaunching" routine. Inside that line, you'll find:

NSRect frame = NSMakeRect(0, 0, 800, 600);

You can replace those values with wherever you want the window to show, taking into account that values are (bottom, left, width, height). Sure there is a way to get the frame from the Window.xib file, but I don't know how.

One issue less