[ann] Created a little app to package Enyo apps into MacOS X Desktop app.

edited February 2012 in Packaging Apps
Hello Guys,

I've created a simple application that helps bundling an Enyo app into a MacOS X application. I don't know if there is a need for this and I don't claim it works. I tried it with some enyo 2.0 sample and with Style Matters demo, it worked in both cases.

The application is provided AS IS and I cannot be held liable if it explodes. On the other hand, it is free and if anyone wants the source (it is built with Livecode), just ask and I will give it away.

I've placed a simple walkthru of packaging Style Matters to show how it works at http://fon.nu/enyo-pack-1 and the application is at http://andregarzia.com/enyo/enyoappquickpackager.zip

It comes bundled with Enyo 1.0 and 2.0. It can generate a simple index.html or you can bundle yours (remember to change the location for the Enyo framework as shown in the app).

I think this is as Drag & Drop as it can get.

I welcome any feedback, I built this in a hurry so there are probably a thousand bugs in it.

Oh... and a shot of Style Matters running as a desktop app:

Cheers
Andre Alves Garzia

Comments

• This is cool. Can you then submit the app to the Mac App Store, or do they not accept HTML5 apps?
  • I don't know if you can submit the app. I think you can but I need to polish it a little. First, I want to make sure it works ok, then I will polish it and try to submit an app generated with it to the appstore.

I know that the app store does not accept universal apps, thats why I generate intel only apps but until an application is successfully submitted to the app store, I can't really say anything.

If possible, please, try it out and give some feedback.
  • This is awesome, thanks for doing this. However, for me, it doesn't work. I followed your tutorial and there aren't any error messages, and it creates an app. But then when I open that app, it's just a blank white screen.
    I put the debug.log file and a screenshot of my "basic info" and of the blank white app on my Dropbox public folder, if you want to check them out.
    It's not particularly important to me that I get this working, but it would be nice, and I thought you might want to know, in case it could help for one of your apps in the future.
    Anyway, good work!
  • Thank you very much for the feedback. I will look into it and see how can I fix this bug. I will post a new version as soon as possible. Thanks
  • Can you give a short explanation of how it works under the hood? I'm mainly interested in which browser engine you use and if apps behave similarly like, for example, in Chrome. As for publishing packaged apps in the Mac App Store: The guys from appcelerator claim that their newest desktop SDK is compatible with the app store guidelines (http://developer.appcelerator.com/blog/2011/05/create-and-distribute-apps-through-the-mac-app-store-with-titanium-desktop-sdk-1-2-release-candidate-1.html) and they are probably doing pretty much the same thing as you are.
  • Hello MaKleSoft,

All I am doing is building a little application using LiveCode ( http://www.runrev.com ) that has a single window and loads a webview in it. The webview is WebKit based so both Enyo 2.0 and Enyo 1.0 should work fine. I don't want or aim to compete with Appcelerator Titanium, all I am building is a quick and dirty encapsulator for personal use and sharing it here with those that might have a need.

The applications that is built is hardcoded to load an "index.html" file from inside the application bundle. The bundle has a special "resources" folder inside the MacOS folder, both Enyo and your app stay in that folder. There is an XML configuration file on the MacOS folder inside the bundle that holds the window title and the dimensions.

The application is intel-only so it should be suitable for App Store distribution but as dacelbot mentioned, there are bugs for me to tackle. I don't have many Enyo apps here to try so I need help with feedback to make sure things work.

Thanks for stopping by.

• How about a Hybrid (C++/Enyo) app? Any possibility to port this as macos app?
  • I think that MacGap is a better product than mine. I believe there are ways to extend phonegap and macgap to use modules you wrote but I am way out of my depth here.

My system was just a wrapper around a webview, I will still update it at least to the point that it works correctly but I recommend you to check macgap because it provides js hooks to the underlining system.